Wednesday 9 July 2014

Japan

Konnichiwa!  You may be aware that I love Japanese art, as well as tin soldiers.  Therefore, I decided to combine these two loves of mine, and design a tag inspired by the Samurai, the warrior aristocracy of Japan.


I used a Tim Holtz Toy Soldier die and cardstock to cut the base form for the Samurai. Then, I altered several of the pieces by cutting, drawing, and coloring them to fit my design.  I dressed him using various origami papers, which I cut and folded as needed to form his costume.  A tied strip of cord completed the look of his kaku obi (belt).  I also decorated a wooden stick to simulate a Samurai's weapon.  For the tag's background, I painted some freehand paintbrush strokes with acrylic paint to simulate the body of a dragon.  When it was dry, I used a micron pen to draw some defining detail lines to the dragon.  Next, I lettered the title, as well as my last name in Japanese characters, using Prismacolor paintbrush markers.  I also stamped an oriental good luck message.  Last, but not least, I attached my samurai to the background with foam squares.

I hope you enjoy my design as much as I enjoyed working on it.  May you have a blessed week.  Sayonara!

9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tag-well thought out and meaningful

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Japanese soldier tag, great ideas thee. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous Japanese feel to this tag - I love your soldier and really admire your sketching on the dragon - so talented! Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Arnoldo! Your skill and knowledge never cease to amaze me :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely artistic flair with a Japanese theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous tag with a masculine feel. You have included a lot of interesting detail too.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the Samurai is magnificent! He looks great in front of the dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so clever to use the toy soldier for the samurai. and of course the sketching is amazing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! Such clever use of your die - so many wonderful creative tags already from the some shape, but this one is the best, I think.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/