Wednesday 27 May 2015

Down on the Farm

Hi Everyone!
I hope you are all well.
Last week's tags were really imaginative
and well made. I look forward to seeing what you
have made for this week's theme.

For my Down on the Farm tag I have
used some feedsack patterned fabric for 
background, in keeping with the Farm theme.
I am interested in how feedsacks made from linen
or strong canvas were used
 from mid 19th century in the US
as an essential item to store animal feed, but
at the same time were a decorative item, enabling
farm wives to stitch clothing from them, and to
 to reuse them as patchwork items.
I found a post about the history of feedsacks here .
I placed some animal fabric prints on the background. 
When I had the idea for the tag, I thought I had some
farm animal printed fabric, such as cows, sheep, pigs,
 but it turns out that on my farm I have rabbits, birds ,
cats and ducks!



6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that these bags were given dual purpose in the manufacture. Re-use and recycling is not a 'new thing'. Excellent tag idea Jane :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful and colourful tag and interesting post about the feed sacks

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty tag!! I love the patchwork (and your cute farm animals!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational actually .Now I have a way to recycle scrap material as well . fabulous tag . hugs Shirley-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane , Love the concept of reusing the feed sacks and the thrift and good sense of early settlers. Great way to illustrate the theme on a tag.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/