Thursday 12 June 2014

The 1950's

Amongst the rebel groups of the 1950's, were the hip beatniks, who were an underground group associated with black attire, poetry readings, and jazz music.  According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, these mostly young people participated in a social movement which "stressed artistic self-expression and the rejection of the mores of conventional society."  According to the Encyclopedia Britannica on-line, the movement was of American origin and centered in the bohemian artist communities of California and New York.


For my Beatnik tag, I used a print of an original drawing I did a while back.  I used a stamp punch to crop the image, colored it, and stapled a tiny tab as a topper.  I used some simple lettering to write the phrase "Cool Cat" on the tab.

As a disclaimer, I'd like to say I don't agree with all the beatniks' worldly practices, but I do admire their stylish artistic sense and free spirit.  I hope you enjoy it too.  Blessings!

8 comments:

  1. this is an excellent tag! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag, and I must confess I love this way of life! I'm a sort of senior (senile?) beatnik in the meantime! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tag. I am still a Beatnik at heart :)

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great beatnik tag, Arnoldo. Just love the girl in your sketch - kind of makes you want to be her - bright, lively, different! Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous14 June, 2014

    LOVE IT!! What a perfect choice, SO unique for this retro theme. Genius! This inspires me to participate again soon.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh yes - I had forgotten about the beatniks... your image just about sums up exactly the "cool" person I wanted to be when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant image Arnoldo. Very cool :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely drawing of a Beatnik girl, and a really good idea for a 50's tag.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/