Tuesday 14 August 2012

Theatre and Cinema

When I saw the "Theatre and Cinema" theme that Carolyn chose for us this week, I got very excited.  My wife and  I enjoyed taking our daughters to children's plays when they were little.  In addition, both the girls and I used to love to go to the movies on father and daughter dates.  We would buy a large bucket of popcorn, so that I could sit between them and share it along with a cherry Coke.  It was so much fun!  Since, I also wanted to pay tribute to Hispanic actors and actresses, I decided to combine the two ideas.  After all, I've always worked hard to instill in my girls the importance of cultural heritage.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
At first I wanted to do a line drawing of an actor or actress, but I couldn't decide whom to choose.  Therefore, I chose eight of them to do a photographic collage of Hispanics throughout the history of theatre and cinema in the United States.  First, I chose Dolores Del Rio, the first Mexican actress to work in Hollywood, as well as one who worked through the silent film and the Golden Age eras.  Next, I chose Rita Hayworth and Anthony Quinn, both of whom had to Americanise their birth names in order to attract a broader range of roles.  Their names at birth were Margarita Carmen Cansino and Antonio Rodolfo Quinn-Oaxaca, respectively.  (Quinn was also the first Mexican-American to win an Oscar.)  My fourth choice was Cesar Romero, whose career span reached six decades and covered film, radio and television.  Next, I chose Rita Moreno, a Puerto Rican singer, dancer and actress.  She is one of the few performers of any ethnicity to win an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony.  My sixth choice was Alfred Molina, who was born in London and speaks English, Spanish, and Italian fluently.  He's a talented actor who has played various types of roles in theatre, cinema, and television.  My seventh choice was Diego Luna, a Mexican actor who is a rising star in the United States and abroad, along with his life time friend, Gael Garcia Bernal.  Last, but not least, I chose America Ferrera, best known for her roles in both "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants" movies and for her leading role in "Ugly Betty," the television series.  My girls and I love this Honduran-Amercian actress.

It was fascinating to read through the bios of these actors and actresses.  Although they are all of Hispanic ancestry, some of them also had Irish, Italian, British, Mexican-Native-American, or other ancestral roots.  By the way, the popcorn box panel and the three tickets represent my father and daughter dates when the girls were little - LOL!  Hope you enjoyed my little cultural journey through the history of Hispanics in Amercian Cinema and Theatre.  Blessings!

Arnoldo L. Romero

18 comments:

  1. I love this and the fact that you always bring something more with your tags, like an interesting story, facts and information. I think you are a such good artist partly because you always pay such close attention to detail :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag, and interesting explanations! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Love the popcorn box panel-- great burst of color and graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story behind the tag, interesting information on these people. I always thought Anthony Quinn was Greek!!! How wonderful that you took your daughter's on dates to the movies! How much fun that would be. I love your tag and all the details in it!
    Hugs,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tag full of memories and a great tribute to your cultural heritage, great idea,love the thought of Father and Daughter dates, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great info piece as well as fab tags Arnildo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun tag! Love all the research you've done for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely memories and you have taught me a lot too! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you did do your homework here. Interesting facts thanks. Love the use of the popcorn holder for your background

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your research and your tag is wonderful.
    What a lovely person you are.
    I adored my father he took me to the cinema regularly as soon as I was old enough. I think I must base my tag on on these memories.

    Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did enjoy reading and learning from your reasearch, a lovely tag with happy memories attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful post Arnoldo, I enjoy reading the inspiration behind your fab tags...Love the popcorn background (which was a must for a trip to the cinema with my boys too!) and what a cool tribute to add pics of your fave Hispanic actor/actresses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've put so much thought and research into this tag! How cool is that?!? The best part are the memories of your family days at theater and movies with your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wonderful and the education component simply enhances the perfect tag.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your heritage and family experiences in this tag. It's always great when a tag is so personal, and this one works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it that you always add that personal touch to your tags, Arnoldo. This is really well done! Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always look forward to reading your posts Arnold. I wonder what you are doing with your beautiful tags as they are building into a very personal collection of memories. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Arnoldo - such an interesting and informative post with the bonus of such a great tag. Lucky girls to have such happy childhood experiences!

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/