Thursday 10 October 2013

Tattered and Torn

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this and nothing more."


...Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."


My tag was inspired by the classic narrative poem, "The Raven," which was published in January of 1845, by American author, poet, editor and literary critic, Edgar Allan Poe.  The poem is about a conversation between a man who is tattered and torn after the death of his love, Lenore, and a raven whose eerie response is always "nevermore."  The introductory excerpt above provides a glimpse into the masterful way in which Poe wrote.  As to my tag design, I tried to emulate the decor of the time by using prints and a bell jar, which may have been used during Poe's lifetime.  I painted the raven using watercolors, and also did the lettering by hand.

Blessings!

20 comments:

  1. Love your interesting take on the challenge Arnoldo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnoldo, what a unique take on the theme and this tag is SPECTACULAR!!!! I am so impressed with your painting and lettering--love the colors and patterns too! Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find that poem so thought provoking and I love how you've used it as your inspiration. The raven in the poem is so scary and I think you've conveyed this just I imagined him. Wonderful piece.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the story tag it was wonderful Arnoldo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tag and terrific painting of the raven--you are so talented

    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tag, love the quote! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and rather melancholy! Great tag. Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,I love your tags,they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tribute to my favorite poem. You have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very artsy tag, and it has a really spooky feel to it which is perfect - love your hand lettering as well, I so widh I could do that! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tag, its theme, and the papers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply Beautiful..Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning tag, Arnoldo. The raven illustration is wonderful, as is the lettering in that tiny tag...looks like it was done with an old quill pen, straight out of the 1800's. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great interpretation of tattered and torn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspirational - I am always moved by Edgar Allen Poe's words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! A fabulous tag of art, love the poem you have linked it to. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful direction for this theme! ♥ Sandy Leigh

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/