Tuesday 14 February 2012

VALENTINE'S DAY

Hi everyone,
I decided to make a tag this week that could be turned into a Valentine's card for the man in my life. We are definitely not a 'hearts and flowers' couple but we do exchange a card each year (when we remember!).
I knew the tag would have to meet certain criteria - no ribbons, bows,lace or hearts, definitely not pink or red and no slushy, overly romantic words! With the field narrowed a fair bit, this is my offering!



I was inspired by my collection of antique printers blocks - I just love the patina of the wood and the random ink stains on them.
I used Golden fluid acrylic mixed to an orangey-brown for the base colour, sprayed it with Walnut ink mixed with copper (Moonshadow Mist), and flicked Paynes Grey Golden fluid acrylic on to it to create the ink stains. I cut out the letters, (turning the L the right way round) and I then entwined copper wire with beads around the words and added a light terracotta coloured ribbon.

The antique printers blocks that inspired me.

The finished card is on my blog at velvetmothstudio.blogspot.com if anyone is interested.
Happy tag-making everyone!


19 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very different and perfect for the man in your life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, For me Jaw Dropping, love it! everything about it such a lot of work to get the fantastic copper/tin effect, Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantastic - it is such a challenge to do Valentine's Day without the " mushy". You have done it superbly, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is spectacular - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic, I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing the how-to. This tag is awe-inspiring. xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic tag, so different, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unique! Great job! And I love old printers' blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea--I'm sure he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so original and organic. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! A tag that any man would be happy to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant tag...lovely effects, I love old printers blocks, and I adore your tag!
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana! I love your artwork. Oh gosh great minds think alike hey? I just posted my heart that I made and it turns out that I'd wrapped my heart creation in lengths and lengths of gold bullion and then when I scrolled down and saw your gorgeous artwork my heart started beating fast and I had a big smile on my face when I noticed your piece was wire wrapped.Happy Valentine's Day art friend! *big smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful. My daddy was a printer and I have a fondness for those blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great Diana, a valentine message you can leave up all year, I love the wire wrapping. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope he loved it ...... it's gorgeous.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diana you tag is gorgeous, love it, great idea for a Valentine card.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/