Monday 30 July 2012

Rockpools and Beach Finds

I was quite excited to do this week's tag because I love the beach. However, when I walked along our beach (along the shores of Lake Michigan), I found myself depressed and sad. Beach finds? Did I really want to use old candy wrappers, cigarette butts, and other things too disgusting to mention?  I walked to the end of the beach and saw a little girl and her Mom picking up garbage near a sign that said "Please don't litter". This lifted my spirits and I looked more closely on the walk home. I was lucky enough to find some lovely drift wood, a small bit of sea glass, some interesting shells entangled in sea weed and some beautiful seaweed. For my tag, I used some old dark blue card stock that I sprayed with  Ink Refresher and wrinkled the paper. I dusted this with Ranger "Perfect Pearls " in a variety of blues and greens. I then sprayed my driftwood with spray adhesive and dipped it in the sand on the beach. I glued the sea glass down and attached the entangled shells and some ribbon. I looked at my tag and it just felt so incomplete. I realized that I needed a "Help keep our beach clean sign". I made one by distressing  paper with Ranger distress ink. I then took an old piece of "fence" that I had gotten at a hobby store and distressed that with Tim Holtz's Ranger weathered wood distress stain. I wove some seaweed through the fence and wired on my sign. I then took the fence and bent it around the tag like the weathered snow fences that line some of the properties along the lake. I wish that I were a better photographer so that you could better see the final results... I am quite pleased with the way this tag turned out especially because it is a wonderful reminder of the hope that I felt when I saw that little girl doing her part to make this world a better place.

Wishing you all a creative week!

Best, Mary Ann

15 comments:

  1. Hi Maryann! I'm Maryanne too, only with an "e". I'm new to Tag Tuesday, but I love tags and I love what you did with yours. It's beautiful and I love the sign! I grew up 30 miles from Atlantic City, New Jersey, and I know how lovely and how ugly a beach can be. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shades of blue and sepia that you achieved, along with al those luscious textures. It is sad to see how disrespectful some people are of nature, but glad to hear there are others like you and that mother that cared. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really thoughtful and creative tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you have interpreted the theme & I so know where you are coming from with the litter thing!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the sadness litter causes anywhere on our beautiful planet. A tag with a strong meaning. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tag and such a great story behind it. It has come up beautifully in the photo and I'm sure you can appreciate it even better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your tag, your interpretation and the message you convey is certainly beautifully conveyed.

    Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful tag with such a timely and important message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever idea! Love that fence!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great message, itn't it sad how people treat our beautiful beaches. Very creative tag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful indeed with an inspirational message. Thank you for sharing the story that inspired some elements of the tag for you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tag with a great message

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fantastic tag and the message is so appropriate - we hardly ever come home from our local beach without a handful of other people's beer cans etc. You have a lovely collection of 'finds' on your tag, and I just love that piece of driftwood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautifuuly created tag. So sad that some people have no respect for the environment.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/