Saturday 17 November 2012

Brown

I found this week's theme a bit tricky. I love bright colours and don't really go for the vintage look, so I had nothing sepia that inspired me. I considered doing something based on St Clare of Assisi, the patron saint of Embroiderers, who wore lots of shades of brown, natural cloth, but I couldn't think what to do. Then inspiration struck! I was looking at a crazy quilt I made earlier this year, and decided to do some more crazy patchwork. I knew I wouldn't have time to do it with fabric, so I raided my stash of paper. (Very meagre compared to my stash of fabric,and I'm sure compared to some of the other contributors to this blog!)
I used the same techniques as I would with fabric, building up shapes in the brown and gold papers I had. I then added stitching, with real thread, poking holes in the card as I stitched to make life a little easier. As a final touch, I added brown braid. I'm pleased with the result, especially as it was a theme I wasn't particularly keen on.

11 comments:

  1. Great idea using paper instead of fabric.You would never guess it wasn't fabric if you hadn't said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! It looks like a vintage pot holder. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what a wonderful idea!! Bravo! I thought it was fabric at first, like Carol and like Arnoldo, it reminded me of a vintage potholder. I think this is a winner! :0) Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crazy patchwork and have made quite a few waistcoats for friends, but this is very clever to use papers, such a lovely tag, well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me fooled Jo, I thought it was fabric
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever! Excellent color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too thought it was fabric! Nice to see different interpretations. Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great project, I love crazy quilting and this even looks like fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a tag, I bet you enjoyed working in colours your not used to :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You tottally had me fooled as I really thought this was material patchwork. Lovely finish and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks just like a fabric coaster, I might try making some for the Christmas dinner table! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/