Tuesday 2 April 2013

M is for

Mountmellick

There are very few stitches in embroidery that begin with the letter 'M'
so I decided to dedicate my tag this week to a particular type of embroidery,
Originating from the town of Mountmellick in Ireland, which is traditionally worked in white.
I designed my own little piece
 Mung Moth

The stitches are worked using 4 different thicknesses of mat cotton threads on a soft sheen fabric called 'Jean' which is as it suggests like jeans, a close woven twill fabric.
Stitches used include satin, stem, whipped back and stem, french knots, overcast, and split stitch but there is also a specific Mountmellick stitch
shown here stitched along the top wing sections
I was introduced to Mountmellick through one of Embroiders Guild groups that I attend
 and have recently completed the piece that I worked on at meetings there.
You can see it in my post about it here

If you want to read more about the origins of Mountmellick embroidery then there is more here

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks pretty complicated. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, it must have been trying on the fingers, I love it. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful embroidery! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful choice Yvonne. I immediately remembered the gorgeous piece you made in this style that you framed here http://boxoftrix.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/mountmellick-framed.html
    I really enjoy looking at your embroidery. It makes me smile. I hope everyone else pops over to see your work too :0) Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your embroidery is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stitching and fab blog of your own too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You amaze me every week with your knowledge and competence. This is such a beautifully stitched tag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your moth design and it looks just stunning in the white-on-white embroidery - beautiful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore white on white so this is really up my street! Gorgeous! Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW I wouldn't know where to begin with this stitch Yvonne - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous embroidery Yvonne! Your dictionary of stitch is wonderful. Look forward to next week's tag too!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW... AmAzing needlework... Simply Beautiful! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/