Tuesday 21 January 2014

Myths and Legends

Hi Everyone!
 I hope you have all had a good week! 
I have chosen the unicorn as the subject of my Myths and Legends tag.
I made my tag with a variety of papers to give different textures. They were stamped and coloured and mounted onto card. I found I had a set of " romantic " stamps, which were just right for the job! The background I used to photograph it is William Morris "Briar Rose" pattern, which I thought went with the romantic theme.


Unicorns were a popular subject for tapestries and wall hangings in medieval times.
 I found this charming description of the unicorn and the maiden in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, which uses an extract from le Bestiaire Divin de Guillaume, Clerc de Normandie (13th  Century).   


"Hunters can catch the unicorn only by placing a young virgin in his haunts. No sooner does he see the damsel , than he runs towards her, and lies down at her feet, and so suffers himself to be captured by the hunters."


I loved stories about unicorns as a child, but always cried when the unicorn was killed, and it still  makes me feel sad nowadays.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely tag, and I like the legends - I think the hunters might have problems these days to find enough virgins! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Valeries comment made me laugh out loud :0)
    Your tag is fabulous Jane. Unicorns are a wonderful choice for this week :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. a gorgeous tag! yes, the unicorn is a noble and precious beast. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unicorns are always a great subject to chose and your work with the papers is terrific.

    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh, Valerie! I'm glad you went with the unicorn and love your composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the way you composed your design with all these inches. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Valerie Jane...so the unicorns of this generation just might be a lot safer....plus now it's about the Youtube vision isn't it. I like all the elements you put together on your well researched tag.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/