Tuesday 24 July 2012

Rock pools and beach finds

As I was researching rockpools for this week's tag, I remembered a family incident that took place in Slidell, Louisiana, USA.  My family and I spent the night there on our way from Del Rio, Texas, to Disney World, which is in Florida.  Slidell is around the bayou area, so crawfish, which resemble miniature lobsters, are common.  As we were walking from the hotel to a restaurant, we saw a crawfish crossing the parking lot.  I though it would be a great opportunity to teach my girls about the local fauna.  Well, the feisty little creature did not like the idea, and immediately propped his claws up at us when we approached it.  Our youngest daughter, who was 5 at the time, screeched in terror.  That was the end of my lesson, since she did not calm down until we walked away.  That incident gave me an idea.

I've been developing a character whom I've named Anel, which is a combination of my daughters' names.  I decided to use Anel to illustrate what would happen if the incident had taken place at a rock pool.  I used an off white bookmark on which I illustrated and lettered my tag using a pencil, black micron pens, watercolor brush pens, and Prismacolor pencils.  As a finishing touch, I twisted a scrap of ribbon into a fish shape and stapled it on the top.  As an embellishment, I glued a button over the staples.  The bookmark could be used as a tag when giving a book.  I may also scan it, so that I can reproduce it for gifts and sales.

 You can learn more about Anel's development in my blog in these two posts: From a Dream and Nursery Rhyme - Mary Had a Little Lamb.  I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for your continuous words of encouragement.  Blessings!

Arnoldo

16 comments:

  1. Another beautiful tag! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little character Anel is, especially her hair. Great story to Arnoldo
    Lynn and the Doodly birds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh she is so cute - and I love her expression! A fab little book mark with tons of character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Great lettering too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anel is so adorable...love her hair and eyes!! Cute little bookmark tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great character, can see all the different ways you can use her! Lovely tag x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arnold I think Anel is fab! I read your other posts and think you have a great character there. I love her wild hair and huge glasses! Great Bookmark tag and the ribbon fish is inspired....
    I wish I had thought of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lOVe her spiky hair - so me! My glasses aren't so big tho, hehe. She'a a sweet little character Arnoldo. I hope we see more of her in your tags :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great character love it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little character is so cute. That crab has really given her a fright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tag. Love the name has been derived from your girls names. Brilliant. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this tag because it tells such a wonderful story and preserves a special memory - looking forward to seeing and hearing more of the adventures of Anel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love little Anel. The tag is just way too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another lovely tag, I hope we will be seeing her again on one of your tags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great character - love that hair! A very special tag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely story and a great little character on your bookmark tag, love the ribbon fish, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/