Monday 16 April 2012

spring cleaning

Goodness, what a day it's been
making sure the house is clean
hustling, bustling here and there
sweeping, cleaning everywhere
Mabel Lucie Attwell

I finally made a tag
after missing so many weeks due to busy ... ness

here is my humble offering for "spring cleaning"

I used a vintage image from a book I have
called "the Victorian Household"

and the text comes from a vintage
book called "Household Encyclopaedia"
which I found in a charity shop for 20p
"soap scraps ... how to use up"

"buy a shaker for a few pence to take odd bits which can be "shaken" in washing up water etc. If you have many scraps, soap jelly is worth making. Simply, simmer in an old pan with enough water to cover. Here is the proportion: 1 cupful of boiling water to 1/2 cupful of the soap scraps cut into small pieces. When melted, add powdered borax enough to make a paste. Then let dry and harden before using"


this brought back some memories of my parents collecting all the tiny pieces of leftover soap, mixing with boiling water till the whole lot melted and then pressing the pieces into a new multi-coloured bar of soap ... and this was in the 1960's!!!!



I am still hoping to catch up with the rest of my missed tags but there are quite a few and I'm not sure how long it will take me so perhaps I will just post them on my own blog. At least, I am back now and "spring flowers" are underway ...

thank you so much for keeping the blog going
with beautiful and original art tags

Carolyn

13 comments:

  1. Lovely tag. I remember those soap shakers, we always used one for washing up when I was a kid! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to "see" you back! Very nice tag-- really captures the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! lovely to see you back with a lovely tag Carolyn. I don't remember soap shakers but I do remember soap savers, little plastic rounds that you pushed into the soap (to keep it from disolving in a puddle of water I think )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn, glad you're back. Love this tag. Soap bits..my gran used to do that, but Mum, never did.We waste such a lot these days..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember soap flakes in a box. They smelt lovely but made you sneeze too. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn,
    Lovely tag! We used to recycle soap bits too, to get the most out of it! That was the 60's! Now we are more wasteful.
    Hugs
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The backdrops you create for the blog are great Carolyn.
    My Auntie still collects soap scraps, only thing is she doesn't do anything with them except leave them on the sink all dried up and cracked. Yuck they look horrible.
    I love her to bits but she is one of life's eccentrics.
    Lynn
    One I made earlier today

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tag but she looks 'too delicate' to manage the work load, ha ha. I guess that's all part of the advertising slogan .... no rubbing ;-)

    Carolyn, you thank us for taking part; well I wish to thank you sincerely for setting it up and maintaining the interest with your inspiring weekly titles, Gilli @ TCS

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tag Carolyn, and I love the way you've displayed it. My mum also used to collect scraps of soap in the 60's and make marbled bars - I thought we were the only family in the world that did that, and I found it incredibly embarrassing as a young teenager that she did so! How nice to know we were not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed looking at this tag so much - the image and the information. Good to be reminded of simpler times and the significant memories those small practices in one's family have made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to have you back Carolyn! love all your antique style tags. Love the different backdrops for the new themes, must admit I had to turn off the Happy Easter music after a while! I am enjoying the Tag Tuesday Challenge so much, Thank you !! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can''t believe I didn't leave a comment on this earlier Carolyn, must have been having a senior moment! Love the image - can remember my mum recycling the soap pieces, really made me think how wasteful we are now! Great tag x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/