Tuesday 26 June 2012

Tales of the Riverbank

Thinking of what to do for this tag bought back lovely memories of my childhood. Things were so different in the fifties and my friends and I could pack up a picnic of orange juice in a blue bottle with a screw cap, jam sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper and an arrowroot biscuit and escape to the Rec for the day. At the back of the park was a river and we would take off our socks and shoes and armed with a fishing net made from a pea stick with some net around a wire made by Mum and a jam jar we would 'fish' for hours. The only rules were 'Don't speak to strangers' and 'put everything back in the river when we had finished.'
tag tuesday

I made the background with Dylusion and distress inks and then added a sheen of pearl spray. Then I stamped various grasses on the front and a jar with a specimen in two layers of blue sprayed card and acetate. The fishing net was fiddly but fun to make from a kebab stick some tulle and  a piece of rusty wire. Then I stamped some more grasses onto acetate for added dimension and adhered with clear sticky pads. The 'Tim' metal tag at the top felt like the appropriate saying and I attached that with some raffia. So there we are, a vignette of my childhood, such a long time ago!!
Have a lovely time making your tags, I can't wait to see  them. x

21 comments:

  1. Lovely tag, the quote is good, too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag - the colours are gorgeous and I think the fishing net is so cute and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, especially the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brings back fond memories for me, too, Barb! Jars of wriggling tadpoles, and me always managing to fall in the river!! How free we were to roam and play in the countryside when we were children in the 50s and how different it is today - I feel sorry for kids these days with only computer games to play with!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so clever and the saying is perfect :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what wonderful memories... Fantastic tag Barb..LOVE the little fishing net.. and your little froggy in the jar (So clever)Hope you are going to put him back in the River LOL ;)just brilliant!! Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't nice to have art bring back such happy memories! I was a kid in the 50's too, and we would be out playing in the streams, fields and pond all day, and show up at supper time. Love this tag, the memories that came back for me was spending lots of time "froggin'" at the pond with my son when he was little, he loved frogs. We still have his nets in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tag bought back very happy memories of 'fishing' with my Grandfather for crested newts, something that cant be done now as they are a protected species. A very lovely tag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your childhood Barb is a carbon copy of my own. We spent hours making bridges to cross the river. One year we spent all the long holidays digging out pieces of broken china out of the bank of the river in the hope of putting it together into it's original shape. Happy days !
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tag. I love the way these tags stir our memory banks. For the second time today I have been reminded of my childhood in Australia this time catching tadpoles in Ballarat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing Barb - tells its own story...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barb, this is my favorite tag so far. I love the depth that you have managed to create without making the tag cumbersome. The frog in the jar is fantastic - and my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your riverbank tag. Great colours, and froggy specimen; the quote is just perfect, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wondrous childhood story and a very creative tag. I love the net. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant take on the theme!Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Barb - what great memories thanks for sharing. I too used a net. Great job on making this cue miniature one. Fab colours too - I wouldn't want to find the frog in a jar though!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tag! and what lovely memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This tag swept me straight back to when my two brothers and I would mess around in little streams when we were little. It is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the frog in the jar!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic image - just reminds me of my grandchildren trying to catch the tadpoles in our pond. That quote is so apt.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/