Tuesday 18 September 2012

OWLS!

Morning everyone! I'm back to work today after a lovely week off, all for a crust of bread as my dear hubby would say! Thought I would try something a bit different for me, stump work, which I have never tried before. I raided my stash and found a pile of lovely Harris Tweed pieces I succumbed to on Ebay and cut out an oval, a circle and a pair of wings out of different colours. I decided to try a Barn Owl as I love their heart shape faces, so out made several hearts out of muslin.
 

049
Then I stitched them down, stuffed with wadding and adorned with buttons. I found one of the buttons for his eyes and couldn't find another and had to empty all my jars until I found the matching one - phew!
 
046
 
His branch is from wire covered in tissue tape with a distress stained leaf and the moon is a glass pebble. My stab stitching could be smaller but it was a fiddle getting him on the size 8 tag I like to use
This was fun to make and I am looking forward to all the fabulous Owls you clever lot will create! Thank you all for your lovely comments that you leave for me, I truly  appreciate everyone, I feel as if I am getting to really know you all now! Hope you all have a lovely week, twit twoo! x

18 comments:

  1. He is just adorable Barb! You are sew clever with your stitchery. Such a great idea, thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful owl, love him! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! he's fantastic! I played about with the idea of doing something stitched for the owl theme but I just couldn't get into it :/ The use of the fabric, the buttons, the wire and paper, everything!! I really like what you have did here Barb its a lovely little piece of textile art x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a lot of work! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant owl Barb. You are clever xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic tag - he's so sweet and he looks like he's eaten a lot of voles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very complex and a lovely tag. Great needlework as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous... I adore this little owl, love the textures & embellishments.. Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barb, What an exceptional tag . I really love your textile owl and the addition of the pearly buttons really gives this owl a story to tell. The wrapped branch and leaf are also briliant additions - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really clever 3D designs. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your button owl and the branch he's sitting on too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Barb your owl is so sweet and creatively made, love the buttons.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your owl is absolutely gorgeous Barb!! LOVE the materials you have used especially all those BUTTONS!!Your branch is fabby too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great little 3D tag, I love the stuffing and the buttons, and the glass bead moon is just perfect, well done, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like his plump tum - seems he's very good at hunting, lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work Barb - I just want to pick him up and give his tummy a good squish!! The tissue tape twig is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the branch and leaf! The owl is cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tweed and button owl!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/