Tuesday 24 April 2012

Purple

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
Jenny Joseph

11 comments:

  1. What a great tag. I'm all for wearing PURPLE too!!
    Purple with relish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sense of movement in your image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure this is my favourite! :)
    Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hoot! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just commented on Sharne's purple lady, and I am glad you have shown us all the full poem as it is brilliant and probably applies to most of us here.
    The back view of the woman is really comical. I love it.
    Lynn
    One I Made .earlier Today

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this poem lovely tagx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this poem, it was my inspiration too! A great drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great poem what a lovely tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tag and poem. I think I'd better start wearing this colour! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this poem, your 'old lady' looks like she's having a great time, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a FUN tag...fab poem...I LOVE your 'old' woman!!
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/