Tuesday 3 July 2012

Seaside

I was so pleased when I saw Carolyn's themes for this month as there has not been much of a chance to enjoy the seaside here in the UK of late! At least we will be able to enjoy some salty tang and seabird cry via our tags.  I decided to try and capture Punch and Judy for my effort, but it turned out to be much more of a challenge than I had anticipated! With no images, stamps or books  in my stash I had to start from scratch and believe it or not there are four attempts at Punch and Judy in my bin because I couldn't get the scale right! 
punch and judy tag
First I covered a basic tag in some red and white striped paper. I made the top of the little theatre by cutting out a square then a smaller square and covering the frame in another paper. The seaside backdrop I did with water colours then muted it down with some picket fence dabber. I wanted a velvet front to the ledge but didn't have any of the right coloured ribbon so used felt with some braiding attached. Paper curtains and a shape at the top finished that off. Then came Mr and Mrs Punch and baby (I so wanted a string of sausages but couldn't fit them in!) I coloured them with pro-markers so that they would be nice and bright and used sticky pads to attach for dimension. The final piece was to make the next show sign which is glued to a coffee stirrer and sticky padded to the front.
'THATS THE WAY TO DO IT' she says in her best swozzle voice! (The swozzle is the instrument that makes Punch have such a distinctive sound - isn't it a lovely word?)

Thank you so much for all your comments, I really appreciate them. This will be a sunny week here in tag Tuesday land even if it rains everywhere else! Have a lovely time making your tags, can't wait to see them! x

15 comments:

  1. Lovely idea with Punch and Judy, I remember sitting on the grass watching it as a kid! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Punch & Judy and this is a super card depicting them in full flow. Pity there aren't many around anymore, but kids are only interested if things are electronic these days *sigh* #Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...#
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tag! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so clever Barb...What a bright and fun tag...I was scared of Punch and Judy when I was a child !! (Gosh knows why?) it may have been the croc or even due to the swozzle!! LOL ...but I LOVE your little puppet show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic, fun tag - evocative of such wonderful childhood memories of being at the seaside. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job-- your efforts were worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea! I love Punch and Judy, and you've done a really great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Punch and Judy are a great idea, and just love all the details you put into that. Way to go, doing them from scratch!Way cool tag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love,love,love this tag. I was fascinated by puppets growing up, so it has a real meaning to me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea and the perfect set for seaside memories your Punch and Judy are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barb you captured the spirit and character of Punch and Judy perfectly. I love everything about your tag. Your illustrations are fab - who needs a stamp :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lively, colourful fun tag. Punch and Judy are fantastic. I saw a show recently at Holker Hall Garden Festival. Even the adults enjoyed it.
    Lynn and the Doodly Birds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tag! It really sums up the fun of those good old days at the seaside.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great tag, Barb! Love your Punch and Judy - they were worth the effort! Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic tag - colourful, happy and innocent summer fun!

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/